Your roof is potentially the most important surface of your home. It takes a beating from sunlight, rain, snow, hail, and more, all in an effort to protect your home. Sadly, the only time people really worry about their roof is when it leaks or there’s another problem. Having the right roofing materials can save you the hassle (and money) of needing repairs too often, so wouldn’t you want to choose the right ones for the job? The main two types of roofing materials are asphalt shingles and metal, each with their own pros and cons.
- Trusted by Builders: This material has been used for decades in the roofing business, so builders and homeowners are very comfortable working with.
- Cheaper: Asphalt is low in costs, making shingles the more economical option for homeowners.
- Easy to Work With: Asphalt shingles are very easy to handle and work with. In certain situations, your roofing project can be done in one day by a professional contractor.
- Susceptible to Rough Weather: Shingles are usually fine when it comes to sunlight and rain, but they may have problems standing up to rougher weather like hail.
- Heavy: Basic shingles weigh around 200 pounds per square, but if you have higher-end or textured shingles, you could be putting 500 pounds per square on your home instead.
- Lightweight: Metal is the lightest material you can put on your roof. Aluminum is around 50 pounds per square, while steel is between 100 to 250 pounds.
- Long Warranty: Many metal roof manufacturers usually offer limited warranties that cover your roof for up to 50 years.
- Environmentally-Friendly: Metal roofing reflects heat, keeping your home cool in the summer. Plus, they’re recyclable!
- Expensive: Even though prices have gone down, metal roofing materials cost around three times as much as asphalt.
- Harsh Appearance: Metal roofs have a reputation for being used on barns and other rural buildings, so people might see them that way in residential areas.
You can work with your contractor to decide what roofing materials are best for you. If you’re in need of roof installations or repairs, call All Aluminum Gutters. We provide roof installation, roof repairs, leak repairs, and more so your home or business stays safe from the outdoors. For help with your roof on Long Island, in New York City, or Westchester, call us at 631-816-2498